The Dairy Lever Initiative aims at targeting the youth ,partnership among MUARIK and strategic partners, aims at creating job opportunities in the diary value chain, supporting and facilitating entry and participation of youth in in gainful and attractive agri-business opportunities, using refurbished MUARIK DVC as the main platform for incubation.
The Continuing Agricultural Education Center(CAEC) has hosted a two days training for Leveraging the MUARIK Diary Value Chain for Dairy Business Incubation and Skills Development-DAIRY LEVER led by a team of professors and doctors like;
- Prof. Bernard Bashaasha
- Prof. Phinehas Tukamuhabwa
- Dr. Alice Turinawe
- Dr. Rosemary Isoto Emegu
- Dr. Justine Nambi
- Mr. Precious Talemwa
The Dairy Lever is being partnered by:
- Jesa Farm Dairy
- Farmers and farmer groups
- Eagle Vet Uganda
- Private Sector Foundation(PSF) Skills Development Facility
- National Animal Genetic Resources Center and Data Bank(NAGRC&DB)
- Ministry of Agriculture Animal Industry & Fisheries(MAAIF)
- MAAIF’S National Farmers Leadership Center(NFLC), Kampringisa
- National Agricultural Research Organisation(NARO)
- Agri-Business Alliance
The youth constitute 21.3% of the total population and 57% of the labor force. 79% of the youth live in areas where poverty levels are high and the major economic is agriculture, youth have limited access to resources like land, financial services, the subsector has been demonstrated to improve livelihoods among agricultural households, evidence of lower levels of poverty owning livestock.
The Dairy Lever works on objectives and they are;
- To enhance skills development of undergraduate students through a strengthened dairy agri-business value chain.
- Build a pioneer team of youth enterprenuers with appropriate skills in the dairy sector.
- Enhance the capacity of partners in the dairy subsector.
- Improve the productivity of the dairy value at MUARIK.
- Strengthen the linkages among students, MUARIK DVC and partners for increased efficiency in the DVC.