The Continiuing Agricultural Education Center is delighted to host a four(4) days workshop on vegetable production by the Intergrated Seed Sector Development.
ISSD Plus is a four-year seed sector project in Uganda implemented by Wageningen UR/CDI funded by the Embassy of the Kingdom of the Netherland. The program aims at strengthening the development of a vibrant, pluralistic and market-oriented seed sector that is able to address key challenges that hamper the seed sector development such as seed quality assurance and availability of foundation seed. ISSD Plus project has 4 components.
- Addressing bottlenecks in early seed generation.
- Enhancing the quality declared seed system and support local seed businesses.
- Promotion of uptake of quality seed.
- Promotion of advanced vegetable variety/seed use.
The ISSD intervention through the vegetable component is ultimately aimed at improving household nutrition and increasing earnings from vegetable production by contributing to increased competitiveness of the vegetable production sector.
These well-intended ambitions of the project will be achieved by:
- Promoting the use of advanced (high yielding, resilient and with market preference) vegetable varieties among the vegetable producers. The adoption of such varieties will contribute to increased productivity and reduced cost of production. Thus increased earnings.
- Contributing to improving the enabling environment around vegetable production. Improving the enabling environment will directly contribute to increased competitiveness and ultimately to increased earnings for producers thus making the sector attractive for investors which then implies the creation of job opportunities.